- Obtain a copy of the death certificate or interim death certificate
- Write to lending institutions for balance statements
- Obtain PPS numbers and addresses for deceased and all beneficiaries
- Obtain valuations of any property owned by the deceased
- Ascertain any debts owed by the deceased
- Complete the Inland Revenue Affidavit
- Inform the Department of Social Protection of the death and provide them with a copy of the Inland Revenue Affidavit. The Department has 3 months to decide whether or not any overpayment was made to the deceased. If you fail to do this, you may be made personally liable to repay the overpaid amounts.
- Draft the Probate documentation
- Arrange for documentation to be sworn before a Commissioner of Oaths
- File all documentation with the Probate Office together with Probate fee
- Collect the Grant of Probate
- Pay any inheritance tax due to revenue.
- Distribute the estate in accordance with the terms of the Will.
The above is a general overview of the process of extracting a Grant of Probate. There will be cases where the Will is contested or there are inheritance tax reliefs which may be available making the process more complex.
Located in Dublin 9, MBSolicitors are experienced probate solicitors. For a free, no obligation consultation email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 01 5677343 or complete the contact form and we will respond to you within 24 hours.