Personal Injuries

Personal Injuries

Personal Injury Claims *

MB Solicitors provide expert legal advice in relation to personal injuries including the following:

  1. Car Accidents
  2. Slip and Trip
  3. Workplace Accidents
  4. Injured while on a premises or property belonging to someone else
  5. Children and personal injury
  6. Cycling Personal Injuries

 Frequently asked questions include:

  1. What is Whiplash?
  2. Do I need a solicitor?
  3. What will my solicitor do for me?
  4. What if the other party did not have insurance?
  5. How much compensation am I entitled to?
  6. Do I have to pay tax on compensation?
  7. What does no win no fee mean?

Car Accidents

Car Accidents often result in Personal Injury. At MB Solicitors you will be advised free of charge, as to whether you can bring a successful claim for compensation.

What should I do if I have been involved in a car accident?

  1. Take details of the other driver involved e.g.
  • Name
  • Address
  • Contact number
  • Registration number of their vehicle
  1. Take details of any witnesses
  • Name
  • Address
  • Contact details
  1. Seek Medical assistance, preferably from your own doctor.Contact the Gardaí and request them to attend the scene of the accident. I f they refuse you should attend the nearest station and request that they record details of the accident.
  2. Contact us before speaking to the insurance company. It may not be in your interest to settle your claim early. You may not know the extent of the injuries suffered. It is only when you have had the benefit of medical and legal advice will you be in a position to settle your claim.

What should I not do?

  1. Do not admit liability at the scene.
  2. Do not leave the scene without obtaining the other parties details.

Can I claim for damage to my car?

Yes, you are entitled to claim for any damage to your car.  However, you should consult with us before accepting any offer. We will ensure that the payment does not prejudice your right to bring a claim for the personal injuries suffered.

Slip and Trip

If you have been injured in a shop or a shopping centre you could be entitled to compensation. The owner of a chop or shopping centre must take reasonable care to ensure that the shop is a safe pace for customers.

All supermarkets and shops should have a cleaning policy in place. If you slip on a wet floor resulting in personal injury, then you may be entitled to compensation.

I have slipped on a wet floor what should I do? 

  1. Take contact details for any witnesses
  2. Take photographs of the where the accident occurred
  3. Take a note of whether there were any wet floor signs
  4. Report accident to a member of staff
  5. Seek medical assistance for your injuries
  6. Contact us so that we can advise you on the likelihood of success and ensure all of the evidence is preserved

How do I know whether I have a claim? 

For a free assessment of your claim please leave brief details including the following in the contact form:

  • The date of the accident
  • The injury suffered
  • Brief description of the accident

Alternatively, please request a call back and a solicitor will contact you to discuss your case.

Workplace Accidents

Employers have a duty of care to provide a safe place to work for all of their employees. If you are injured at work you may be entitled to financial compensation.

If you are involved in a accident at work you should do the following:

  1. Report the accident
  2. Take photographic evidence
  3. Record details of the accident
  4. Record contact details of any witnesses
  5. Seek medical assistance
  6. Contact MBSolicitors

For a free assessment of the strength of your case please contact us through the contact form or telephone us at 01 5677343

Injured while on a premises or property belonging to someone else

If you are injured on property/house or other premises that you are not the owner of you may be entitle to compensation. The Occupiers Liability Act 1995 is the relevant law governing such injuries. The law divides those who may be entitled to compensation for injuries into three types: visitors, recreational users and trespassers.

In relation to visitors, the owner/occupier of the property must take reasonable care to ensure that the visitor dopes not suffer injury or damage while on the property.

The responsibility towards a recreational owner or trespasser while it exists it is considerably less that that owed to a visitor.

In order to establish whether you are entitled to compensation while injured on property/land/house belonging to another person please contact us by phone or by using the contact form.

My child has suffered personal injury

If you child has suffered a personal injury the time within which proceedings can be take is two years from the date of the injury or where 2 years from the child’s eighteenth birthday. However, it is always better to bring the case as soon as possible so that crucial evidence is not lost or witnesses have not moved house/forget the details of the accident.

The case can be brought by the child’s “next friend” usually on of the child’s parents. The “next friend” is responsible for initiating the legal proceedings and can accept an offer made by the defendant. However, any such offer must be considered or approved by the court.

What is Whiplash?

Whiplash is a common term used to describe a strain to a personas neck which is caused by a high impact slip/trip or fall. It commonly occurs as a result of cash crashes or other road traffic accidents.

Do I need a solicitor?

 An Insurance company is a business. Business must make a profit. Therefore, it is in their interest to pay a reduced amount of compensation. They have dedicated claims handlers who are trained to negotiate settlement with the injured party. Unless you have the same training or have the benefit of legal advice you are at a disadvantage. Your solicitor is trained to negotiate on your behalf and it is our business to ensure that you obtain the maximum compensation which you are entitled to.

What will my solicitor do for me?

  1. We will assess your claim and advise on the likelihood of success
  2. We will write to the other party involved to ensure that all the evidence is preserved so that it can be assessed
  3. We will liaise with your doctor to obtain a legal medical report
  4. We will make the application for the Injuries Board on your behalf
  5. We will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to ensure that you get the highest level of compensation which you are entitled to
  6. If the claim cannot be settled, we will institute court proceedings

What if the other party did not have insurance?

Motor insurance is compulsory in Ireland. However, there are cases where a driver involved in an accident does not have insurance. This does not mean that you cannot bring a claim as it may be possible for you to bring a successful claim to the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland commonly known as “MIBI”.

For a free and quick assessment of your case please give brief details of the accident in the contact form and we will respond to you. Alternatively, please call us at 01 5380084 

How much compensation am I entitled to?

The amount of compensation that you are entitled to will depend on the injury sustained. The following is a guide as to the what compensation you may be entitled to for some of the more common injuries.

Head Injuries:

  • Minor up to €21,000
  • Moderate €19,000-€35,200
  • Severe €41,600 to €74,000

Eye Injuries:

  • Minor up to €9,800
  • Moderate €22,500 to €45,400
  • Severe up to €138,000

Facial Injuries:

  • Fractured Cheek minor €21,400 to €42,400
  • Moderate 37700 to €47,300
  • Severe €47,500 to €55,600

Nose Fractures

  • Minor €18,000 to €22,100
  • Moderate 22,100 to €32 200
  • Sever €44,500 to €63,900


  • Loss of milk tooth (baby tooth) €4000 to €7,000
  • Broken Tooth €7500 to €10,300
  • Loss of Tooth €10,300 to €12,700

Neck Injuries

  • Minor up to €15,700
  • Moderate €20,400 to €30,200
  • Severe €44,600 to €77,900

Back Injuries

  • Minor up to €14,800
  • Moderate €21,400 to €34,400
  • Severe €52,300 to €92,000

Do I have to pay tax on compensation?

Compensation is not payable on an award of compensation.

*In contentious business a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.

If you would like to find out if you are entitled to compensation, please contact our expert personal injury solicitors to by phone
on 01 567 7343 or use the contact form on the website.