If you are seeking to recover debts below €15,000 legal proceedings are issued in the District Court
- Gather all invoices contracts relating to the debt as this will be used to evidence the debt.
- Issue a letter of demand for payment allowing 7 or 10 days for repayment.
- Wait 7 or 10 days
- Issue Claim notice, if the monies have not been repaid
- Allow 28 days for the debtor to enter an appearance
- Where debtor does not respond you complete an affidavit of debt which is then lodged with the court office.
- Obtain judgement from the Court.
- Enforce the Judgment
Where the debtor files an appearance the following steps arise.
- The debtor will enter a defence
- The debtor will send a Notice for particulars requesting further information in relation to the claim
- Your solicitor will reply to particulars
- A hearing date is set by the District Court Office
- Judge then hears the case on the hearing date.
Information which we require from you
- Your name and address
- Name and address of the debtor
- Copy contract between you and the debtor (if any)
- Copy invoices sent to debtor
- Any response received from debtor in relation to the invoices raised (if any)
- Details of any payment made on foot of the invoice
- Amount of total debt due
Costs are usually awarded to the successful party.